Skip to main content
Create interactive lessons using any digital content including wikis with our free sister product
. Get it on the
Gaming added to learner contribution
Pages and Files
Gaming in Education
2010 Viva Pinata
Why we are doing this again
Help and Support
FAQs and Hints
Howto Video chat
Innovative Schools What Happened
What We found out
Big Pinata Play Off
May 22nd 2009
March 6 2009
Getting Ready For big pinata play off
Learning plan and focus
March 6 2009
Welcome back to 2009. Agenda for today is to do following.
Look at video from Austrailian School
Discuss progress and Blog postings.
as an example of scaffolding the learners through web spaces
a copy of it is here for furthere reference.
XBOX -Colab wikispaces file
Windows Live -Colabsouthwell3 file
Windows Live -Colabsouthwell4 file
Viva Pinata Forum
Objectives and Enduring Understandings file
Cyber Safety file
NZ Netsafe file
Positive online communities file
Mr Winters Blog space file
Cooperative groups and roles
Here is some examples of work EGL have done recently
1. The research blog (being assembled now so still very much in draft form):
2. Some example articles published recently attached
Annick Janson (PhD) Contacts
Associate, Centre for Applied Cross-cultural Research (CACR), Victoria University of Wellington Research Director, Microsoft NZ, Partners in Learning Programme Ecosynergy Group Ltd. | 30 Aurora Terrace, Hillcrest, Hamilton 3216 New Zealand P- 64-7-8582284 |F- 64-7-8566058 | M- 64-27-2881949 | E-
3. An online article just published this month is mentioned on the live spaces.
Look in Geoff's room at student's working on the project
Annick will look at research opportunities
- participating and contributing is expressing ourselves in expo
Transfer of knowledge how could this be transfered to a working enterprise?
The message from the apprentise where if you don't work well in a group.
What have we done so far??
Kerry and Room
- what is a blog? What makes a good blog? They had a look at other blogs and compared them to forums. Kerry's class created a few seperate blogs on seperate areas, ie.How to start the game. Kerry and his class have devided the class into - colabsouthwell1 = 3 groups, colabsouthwell2 = 5groups. He used a continum of gaming experience to help mix groups evenly. They have played the game once. A 40min session was a bit short.
Geoff and Room
- they have decided on set roles within the class and what each role consists of. This came from about 4 blocks of class discussion. There has been a lot of discussion around the key competencies and creating a clear purpose/direction for the trial. Geoff and his class have devided the class into - colabsouthwell3 = 3 groups, colabsouthwell4 = 4 groups. Geoff made the decisions about groups, using his knowledge of who would work best with who. The 5 roles are: blogger, researcher, watcher, leader/organiser, gamer. When there are 4 in a group instead of 5 students the blogger+research becomes 1 role. They have not yet played the game.
Glen and Room 2
- they have looked at the SAMS Learner (which is based on the key competencies). Whats good learning? What makes me a good learner? All students have a blog which links from the class blog. As a class student have made entries on their blogs about these discussons. Looking at appropriate contributions to blogs. The class have started with the communicator and a smaller learning action of "active listening" where as a class they will discuss and co-construct the criteria. As a class they have done a cyber safety unit. Glen and his class have devided the class into - colabsams1 = 4 groups, colabsams2 = 4groups. They have not yet played the game.
Set up time per class took a while as we collected all teh equipment we needed. Looking for the right space etc within a class setting needs to be well thought out.
Dave to find out what the status of the game Kadu
Investigate the next round of funding.
help on how to format text
Contributions to http://xbox-colab.wikispaces.com/ are licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 3.0 License
Portions not contributed by visitors are Copyright 2017 Tangient LLC
TES: The largest network of teachers in the world
Turn off "Getting Started"